Shame on us. 99% of the time, you feel awesome
after dancing! (The other 1%, you weren't trying hard enough - or you got stepped on a lot). Even if you're still learning and the only thing you picked up was a basic - it's still fun. (And a great work out so you can skip the gym that day;). The music is pumping, people are smiling, even if you don't find anyone to dance with (which is crap - just go ask someone!) you can still watch and learn...though you will still have to go to the gym in that case.
What version of ourselves are we becoming when we complain about going dancing? Definitely not one I'm proud of. So, here are some tips to keep your feet moving - even when it's cold and dark outside.
1) Keep your dance shoes and a water bottle in the car. The less you have to "load up", the easier it is to actually walk out the door. (Warning: in winter, your shoes will be cold. It has a nice effect on the water though:).
2) Make a date with a friend or significant other. This way, you have an accountability partner who will give you shit if you flake. (Or better yet, physically drag you out the door).
3) Try to meet at least one new person each time you go dancing. Before you know it, you'll have tons of dance partners (and what you'll be wishing for then is enough down time to use the loo). It's not as hard as you think, most people love the social aspect of dancing and are looking to meet new people.
4) Listen to your favorite dance songs during the day so you're itching to move when evening rolls around. Bonus: this one also improves your general mood.
5) If you have the money in your budget, buy a new dance outfit. Or even one new piece: a skirt, a shirt, it doesn't have to be flashy, but you have to feel good in it so you'll want to show it off. Or go all out and buy some new shoes! Hell, if you have enough money in the budget, buy me some new shoes! Sorry, I'm getting a little excited.
6) Write your dance day(s) on your calendar so you start looking forward to them. (Yes, I still have an old fashioned, paper calendar I write on in pencil. I told you I'm not technologically savvy.)
7) Finally, and this one applies to life in general, make a decision and stick to it. Don't talk yourself out of things! The time spent thinking of excuses could be half your commute. (Read my previous blog). Just get in the car!
Even when dancing totally sucks - it's still more fun than most things! Where else do you really get to let your hair down and sling it around. How often, in daily life, do you get to shake what your momma and daddy gave you. And it's like a free workout. You can even save money and cancel your gym membership. (See #5 when you run into some extra cash;)
So, my fellow dancers, I will see you on the dance floor...and we'll all be happy about it! Goodnight!